Sunday, November 18, 2012

I need to have a purpose




I love blogging. I love it as much as I love talking. And oh my Chod that’s a lot.

I am a talker. Ask any of my friends or anyone who has ever talked to me, I love to talk.

But on thing I will never be described as is quick on the draw. I am terrible with come backs. I think most of my surfing can be traced back to my lack of come back skills. “umm…..well you’re an a**hole”. Story of my life.

But lately I feel like my whole blog life is just link ups. It does not reflect my actual life. I want my blog to be an outlet. Sure I love link ups but they take away from homework time during the week. I want to start utilizing my blog to reflect on what I learn in nursing school and relate it to the real world….plus some fun stuff here and there. I hope everyone stays with me.

My defining moment-

This week in my caring class we learning about the Pan Am 103 flight from London to New York which was overtaken and bombed in 1988 and how the citizens of Lockerbie, Scotland cared for each and every soul who departed after the plan crashed and claimed 270 lives (Wikipideia). It was an amazing story and I cried several times.

The people of Lockerbie had such compassion for these strangers, a great lesson for this soon-to-be nurse. I meet strangers everyday as a CNA and care for them for over 8 hours. In just 5 minutes when I first meet my patient I try to establish a relationship and do my best to make sure all my walls are down so my patients can trust me, not always an easy task. The people of Lockerbie placed flowers on caskets, washed ‘contaminated’ laundry and mailed it to the family members, and welcomed families from all over the world. After watching the love the people of Lockerbie showed all these strangers, I certainly want to visit Scotland as soon as possible.

During the video it was said several times how the people of the US would never have responded this if the situation had occurred in the US rather than Scotland.  Perhaps in some parts of the country but I live in Iowa and we are nice here. Your friend’s parents make say please and thank you, your neighbor forces you to try her fresh baked cookies, we don’t have the real kind of road rage where people honk, we just smile and wave. Whenever someone is ill or a family member passes away, you can bet your ass the rest of the community already has a benefit and 27 casseroles ready for them. At least in my town we do. My town would wash the laundry. And pick flowers. And bake casseroles. Because we’re effing nice, we just don’t have sweet accents. So I’m a little ticked whats his face on that documentary had the nerve to say we wouldn’t.

Watching this movie in class made me want to share this with my 10 whole followers. Maybe someone cares what I have to say about what I’m paying 20k a year to learn about. If not, whatever. Btw, I might be one of the few people who actually talks in class because no one else does and I hate sitting in silence while the professor tries to force us all to talk. So yes, I raise my hand at least 15 times a class period and speak multiple times to a single topic. Judge away. I just want to talk. :)

Now if you’ll excuse me, this 10 page paper that isn’t going to write itself.

~Marissa

No comments:

Post a Comment